How you can prepare

If you live close to bushland, scrub, grassland or farmland, you're at risk of bushfires. Being prepared could reduce the destructive effects a bush fire will have on your property and could save the lives of you and your family.

Below you'll find useful information to help you prepare for bushfires:



Information to assist you in what to do before, in the event of, and after an emergency.  Emergency Hub
To find current information on all fire-related incidents. Fires Near Me (nsw.gov.au)
Download the official app to view emergency warnings and advice for fires, floods and tsunamis in NSW.

Hazards Near Me
App Store or Google Play.

Get ready for a bush fire by making a bushfire survival plan. Bushfire Survival Plan
Prepare your property in case of a bushfire Prepare your property
Neighbourhood Safer Places are a place of last resort during a bushfire emergency. Find out where yours is here. Neighbourhood Safer Places
If you're concerned about bush fire hazards on your property or the property adjacent to you, report it to the RFS here. Report a bushfire hazard to NSW RFS

For more information and guides from the NSW RFS, see Related Links on the right of this page.

How we help mitigate bushfire risk

Asset Protection Zones (APZs), Conservation Buffers and Strategic Fire Advantage Zones (SFAZs)

Have you used the QR code on one of our bushfire signs? Learn more about these signs here:

Asset Protection Zone

What is an APZ?

An Asset Protection Zone (APZ) is the area between a residential or commercial building and an adjacent fire hazard (i.e. bushland).

APZ's are constructed and maintained to protect existing dwellings and should not be relied upon for new developments.

Keeping this area clear provides ease-of-access for firefighters and emergency/maintenance personnel to protect life and property safely. Any encroachment in this area hinders firefighting efforts.

Please report any encroachments such as trailers or illegal dumping on public land to Council. Authorised Council officers may remove any items, rubbish or other obstructions by order of the Chief Executive Officer.


Conservation Buffer

What is a Conservation Buffer?

A Conservation Buffer is a land management area which provides additional bushfire mitigation where the bushland (hazard) is not deemed significant enough to warrant a formal Asset Protection Zone (APZ) under the Rural Fires Act 1997.

Any encroachment such as trailers, illegal dumping or other in a Conservation Buffer hinders firefighting efforts. Please report any encroachment to Council.


We have developed a map to show where the APZ and SFAZ measures are in place. Simply access our interactive map below (or open in a new window) to view:

Asset Protection Zones and Conservation Buffer FAQs

How do I identify an APZ or Conservation Buffer?

You can identify an APZ or Conservation Buffer by the signage displayed onsite or via the PMHC Interactive Bushfire Mitigation Map.

What is the difference between an APZ and Conservation Buffer?

An APZ is installed when the hazard is deemed significant enough to warrant it. This is generally bushland parcels greater than 1 Hectare that have uninterrupted fuels for a length of 50m or greater. The dimensions of these APZs are governed by calculations based on slope and vegetation type, also Standards provided by the Rural Fires Service.

Conservation Buffers are installed when a hazard is present but is not deemed significant enough to warrant a formal APZ. These are of nominal widths, however, can provide improved access in case of emergency.

Why is there still vegetation directly behind my home in the APZ?

Conservation buffers may still retain some vegetation such as trees as the hazard is not a high enough risk due to factors such as the width of the hazard or presence of watercourses and associated vegetation that is not considered a significant hazard.

An APZ does not require the clearing of all vegetation. It is an area of modified vegetation to restrict the build-up of fine fuels.

Do Council manage all the APZs in our Local Government area?

No. Council only mange APZs on land owned or managed by Council.  

APZs can be managed by other government agencies such as Crown Land, Forestry NSW or National Parks.  

Homeowners of properties constructed after 2002 that are adjacent to hazards will have APZs wholly within their own land. 

How else can I minimise my property’s bushfire risk?

By following directions from Prepare your home - NSW Rural Fire Service

I still have concerns about the amount of bush/scrub/foliage near my property that’s a risk. Can Council clear more?

Councils have a responsibility to provide suitable bushfire protection for the community however, Councils also have obligations to protect ecology.

If you have concerns please contact Council. Council will forward your concerns to the RFS for review. If the concern is upheld the RFS they will provide direction for the additional clearing required. 

Who do I report hazards to? Council of NSW RFS?

If your concern is regarding the maintenance of an existing APZ contact council.  

If you believe the APZ requires enhancement or construction, contact RFS on 1800 NSW RFS (1800 679 737) or Reporting a bush fire hazard - NSW Rural Fire Service.

How do I report an active bushfire?

If you see an unattended fire call 000 immediately.