Development contributions


Development contributions, also known as Section 94 contributions, are levies charged to developers.

These contributions help fund infrastructure projects needed as a result of the development.

For example, civic works like footpaths, roads or public amenities need to be added to meet the increased demand of the new development.

Development servicing plans

Document  Revision date
Development supply plan - water and sewer 18 September 2014

Contribution policies

Document Revision date
Planning agreements policy 19 June 2006
Works in kind policy  18 November 2005
Development contribution assessment policy 10 November 2016

Frequently asked questions

Where are development contributions spent?

Development contributions help pay for:

  • Public open space
  • Public roads
  • Water supply and sewerage
  • Community facilities
  • Public carparks 

Who pays development contributions?

Developers pay contributions, but smaller residential projects may also be required to pay. 

How do I know if I have to pay?

Contributions are part of the Development Application (DA) or Complying Development Certificate (CDC) process.

You can request a contribution estimate via email before you submit your DA or CDC. 

What are the rates?

Can I defer payment?

We do accept deferred payments depending on the project. Learn more about deferring payments in the Development Contribution Assessment Policy or contact us

Why do I have to pay a headworks charge when I pay water rates?

New developments often require new or upgraded utilities to meet the demand and future growth in the development area. Headworks charges are a flat fee to extend and maintain water and sewage infrastructure. Water rates alone don’t cover these costs.