Water and Sewer Development Requirements


Apply for Water Supply Authority Approval

Under the Local Government Act 1993, Section 64, PMHC has certain approvals to act as a Water Supply Authority under the Water Management Act 2000 in relation to development works.  Where any development or engineering works are to be undertaken, the Owner or Developer is responsible for ensuring that Council’s water and sewer assets are considered. You will be required to make a Water Management Act Approval application to ensure that the development has adequate water and sewer services and existing assets in the development area have been adequately considered.

Certification of New Development by Private Certifiers

Where works are privately certified, it is the Private Certifier’s responsibility to ensure that the Council’s water and sewer assets are considered, and to obtain the Water Supply Authority’s Notice of Requirement and Letter of Acceptance (or obtain a copy from the Owner/Developer prior to certifying a development as being suitable for construction. The Water Supply Authority may issue this approval in the form of a Section 306 Notice of Requirements or Letter of Acceptance depending on the stage of the development.

The Process

Council or a Private Certifier will tell you if you need to apply for a Water Management Act Approval. Usually this happens once you have submitted your Development Application or Complying Development Certificate Application.


Step 1.Application Form

Complete the relevant online application form depending on your stage of works. Upon receiving the application, Councils Utilities Planning and Design team will investigate the impact of the proposed development on it's system.

  • Application for Section 306 Notice of Requirements - Initial Application prior to Construction and or Development Application (DA)/Complying Development Application. This application is to obtain a Section 306 Notice of Requirements which is a list of requirements that are to be met in relation to water and sewer.
  • Application for Confirmation of Contribution Payment- New or modified developments that intensify an existing approved use, increase demand on Council’s public water and sewer infrastructure. These developments are subject to development contributions/headworks charges under the Water Management Act 2000. The developer charges/headworks charges cover part of the cost of providing water supply and sewer infrastructure to new developments. Headworks charges are calculated by the Development Contributions Team using the Development Servicing Plan, depending on the type of development and its usage on Council’s water and sewer systems. Water rates alone do not cover these costs. More information can be found on our Development Contributions  page.
  • Application for Letter of Acceptance for Construction Plans - Application Prior to Construction. A Section 306 Notice of Requirements has been received from PMHC and you are ready for plans to be reviewed prior to Construction. This application is to obtain a Letter of Acceptance and a stamped set of plans that are acceptable for water and sewer purposes.

  • Application for Section 307 Certificate of Compliance Post Construction- When you have satisfied the Section 306 Notice of Requirements conditions to adequately service the new subdivision or development with water and sewer. This application is to obtain a Section 307 Certificate of Compliance. 

Step 2.Council Reviews Application

Once reviewed, Council will contact you via email outlining any additional requirements, documentation or works you will need to complete before we can issue your certificate. 

Step 3.Complete Additional Works

For example:

  • Pay the Headworks Charges.
  • Apply and receive any other relevant applications or consent.
  • Complete infrastructure works.
  • Take steps to protect Council assets, such as relocating proposed building/structure, relocating affected Council’s infrastructure on your property, or creating easements.

We can not issue a Certificate until we have received the requested contribution, work or information. 

Step 4.Certificate Issued

Once works or requirements have been completed, a Certificate under the Water Management Act 2000 will be emailed to the address provided on the application form. 

Processing times vary. Your application can be tracked by Council’s tracker  


Water and Sewer Works

If you are thinking of developing your land, it's important to first be aware of regulations and recommendations about water and sewer mains in your area.

Build Over Sewer

It is not permitted to build over or near asbestos cement or vitrified clay sewer mains without additional protection measures. Mains must be replaced or relined and new protection, such as piers and beams, provided. It is also not permitted to build over large sewer mains. Details of structural elements will be required to be submitted to Council’s Utilities Planning and Design team for review and approval prior to commencement of any construction over existing Council assets.


If Your Works Affect a Neighbouring Property

If you don’t own the neighbouring property, you’ll have to work with your neighbour to negotiate access prior to obtaining your Section 306 Notice of Requirements.  Not that this may potentially delay your project, especially if more than one property owner is affected. - Written owner's consent


Underground Mapping

A record of underground assets can be viewed using Council’s GIS Mapping Service. Maps of Port Macquarie-Hastings Council (nsw.gov.au)

It should be noted that neither Port Macquarie-Hastings Council, nor the data originators, give any warranty in relation to the data shown, and accept no liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for any loss, damage or costs (including consequential damage) relating to any use of the data. 


Aus-Spec Design and Construction Requirements

We use AUS-SPEC planning, design, and construction requirements for civil engineering works associated with subdivisions and development. You’ll find design specifications, construction standards, checklists and drawings for civil infrastructure design and construction.

AUS-SPEC Port Macquarie Hastings Council (nsw.gov.au)


Access to Manholes

It is essential that Council has access to sewers for maintenance. Access manholes are often located on private property, so it is important that owners do not restrict access to or cover them. An application for a Water Management Act Approval is to be made to Council to raise or lower any Manhole cover to suit property requirements. 


Water Supply

The Water Supply Policy and it's underlying procedures outline the responsibilities of Council and residents relating to the supply of water within the our Local Government Area (LGA). The Water Supply Procedure covers most information relating to the supply of water, including outlining what works residents and plumbers can or cannot do, and those which require Council approval. It also outlines Council’s requirements and service levels for the community.

Water Supply Policy and Procedures (2021) Port Macquarie Hastings Council (nsw.gov.au)

If you require a water pressure test, disinfection and/or interconnection of new water mains as part of a development site please complete our New watermains - application for disinfection, pressure test, or interconnection

water mains pressure test can also be requested if required for fire protection systems such as fire hoses and sprinklers.



Pressure Sewer System

Some areas have Pressure Sewer Systems which consists of a below-ground collection chamber and pump unit which stores, grinds and pumps sewage under pressure into council’s sewerage system.

The unit is wired to your household’s electricity supply and is operated by a control panel that features audible and visible alarms which are usually activated if there are any issues with the system.

An application for a S306 Notice of Requirements application is to be made to Council to carry out any proposed development affecting Pressure Sewer Unit equipment.