Works & activities within a public road reserve

We are responsible for the ongoing management of road reserves within our road network, but you can apply to use a road reserve for proposed works, activities or events.

A road reserve is the section of land between property boundaries, divided by a road. This often includes nature strips, trees, footpaths, kerbs, gutters, and the road itself. In some cases, property owner assets such as driveways and water connection pipes or fittings may be included in a road reserve classification.


If you need to expand the diagram above, you can open it in a new window(PDF, 675KB).

Applying to use a road reserve

You can apply for consent to use a public road reserve, as per Section 138 of the Roads Act (1993). An application is required for all proposed works, activities or events.

Choose from the tabs below to prepare and submit your application, depending on which activity you are planning to undertake. There are associated fees and charges when submitting an application.

Work sites

Step 1.Determine the need for an application

Works in, on or over a public road or road reserve (including footpaths) requires consent from Council before they can commence. Common worksites requiring this type of application may include:

  • placement of standing plant equipment within the road, road reserve, footpath or car parking space
  • removal of roadside vegetation, or maintenance works to areas adjacent to the roadside.

If you are planning works on private assets within a road reserve, such as constructing driveways or gutter crossings, your application must be submitted via the NSW Planning Portal. Find further information on the requirements for this type of application.

Step 2.Prepare your supporting documents

The following documents will be required as part of your application.

  • Public Liability Insurance
    A certificate of currency from your insurer stating the level of cover, period of cover and exclusion clauses. The policy must have a minimum cover of $20 million.
  • Risk Assessment/Safework Method Statement
    A site specific risk assessment and management plan, including measures taken to reduce the impact of the works to pedestrian and vehicular traffic. You can use this template, or you may use your own.  
  • Site Plan
    Multiple site plans may be required if more than one location is required for the works. You must clearly show placement of any traffic management devices, location of road/footpath closures, adjacent streets/driveways etc.
  • Traffic Management Plan and Traffic Guidance Scheme A Traffic Management Plan or Traffic Guidance Scheme, will be required for any works which will have any impact on Pedestrian or Vehicle traffic. The TMP or TGS is to prepared and implemented by a qualified traffic management company.



Step 3.Submit your application

Complete the online application form at the link below.

Depending on the nature of the works, your application may require an inspection prior to works commencing and following the completion of works. If this is required for your application, our team will contact you.  A security bond will apply, see  our fees & charges for further information.

Apply now


Step 1.Determine the need for an application

Our events team will provide advice on the necessary applications and supporting documents required for your event. Check the information on organising events or contact the events team before submitting a use of public road reserve application

Step 2.Prepare other necessary approvals 

  • Events or activities that impacts traffic, transport, parking or pedestrians will also require approval from the Local Traffic Committee (LTC). These applications must be submitted at least 12 weeks prior to the event date. We will present your event details to the LTC for the committees approval.
  • Events or activities held in the Hay Street Forecourt require written approval from The Glasshouse team to be submitted as part of your application. Contact the team by phone or email to organise the consent.
  • Any event or activity held in Port Macquarie's Town Square requires an application regardless of whether a closure is required. Contact us before submitting your application to check your proposed date is available.
  • If your event or activity will be held on a public park or reserve as well, you will also need to submit a parks application to use that space. 

Step 3.Submit your application

Complete the online application form at the link below.

Apply now

Stock grids & gates

Step 1.Prepare your plans

Stock grids within our road network must be installed in accordance with the standards that are set out to maintain public safety and reliability for all road users.

These standards are set out in:

Step 2.Submit your application

Once your plans are prepared in accordance with the standards, complete the online application form at the link below.

Apply now

Step 3.How is the application processed

As part of the application process, we are required to notify adjoining property owners and the general public of all proposed installations of stock grids and gates. The 28 day notification period allows for feedback submissions to be made. Objections received may have to be resolved by the applicant, depending on the type of complaint.

We will determine the final outcome of the application, based on the compliance with design standards, the feedback received, and how complaints were addressed.

There are associated fees and charges when submitting an application to use a public road reserve. Depending on your application type, there may be additional charges for inspections, multiple applications, or for a bond.

After your application is assessed, you'll receive an invoice for your application and other applicable fees. Fees can be paid in a number of ways, but some payment options will depend on the application type.

Fees for all applications and associate activities are available to view at Fees & charges (page 82-86 of the document).

A bond will be required if the activities in your application present an associated risk of damage to council-owned assets. The bond can be between $2,000 and 10,000 and will be released following a post work inspection with no damages found.