Main Content Anchor

Noise regulations

The responsibility of enforcing noise control regulations is a shared responsibility between the Environment Protection Authority (EPA), Council, the Waterways Authority and NSW Police Force.

Details about noise control, dealing with noise (neighbourhood, barking dogs, intruder alarms, noise from vehicles, noise abatement orders) and contacts for noise pollution can be obtained from the EPA website.

If you require Police to attend to a noise complaint, telephone the Police Assistance Line on 131 444, who will arrange for police to attend. You will need to tell the operator the exact location where the noise is coming from and describe the type of noise.

Council management of noise complaints

Loud noise can be annoying and can interfere with speech, disturb sleep or interfere with work. The impacts of noise depend both on the noise level, its characteristics and how it is perceived by the person affected.

Council manages noise complaints in accordance with the EPA guidelines for Local Government.  Want more information on time restrictions?  These can be found in the linked brochure 'Dealing with Neighbourhood Noise'  under the Related Information heading.

Community Justice Centre (CJC)

The CJC specialises in settling differences between neighbours who are experiencing conflict with each other without entering into a complicated legal process.  The CJC will suggest a mediation process. This is where you meet with the people who are making the noise, together with a CJC representative, to try to solve the problem. This process is free and has a high success rate. 

This page was last updated on: 16 October 2017

This page was last updated on: 24 July 2018