Reporting development concerns

On occasions some properties are used for a purpose that has not followed an approval process. Other times, work carried out on a property may be in breach of their consent approval. If you have concerns about development work that:

  • may be causing mud or dust to come off the site,
  • may be unauthorised, or
  • may be using the land or property incorrectly,

follow the steps below to resolve the issue.

Before you report

Step 1.Does it have approval?

Check our online DA tracker to see if the development is approved. If you don't see an approval, consider whether the development meets the exempt development requirements. Developments that meet the exempt criteria do not need approvals or require notification to neighbours. You can view these via the NSW Legislation website

The DA tracker will also detail what the conditions of the approval are. 

Step 2.Talk to your neighbour or builder 

Have a friendly chat about their development to find out what is going on and if the work is exempt development. If the work is exempt, then there is no need to report it.
If your neighbour is unapproachable or does not agree that a problem exists, you can report the issue to us and we will investigate. 

Step 3.Report the issue

Provide as much detail as you can regarding the issue. 

Where the building work does not meet the exempt development requirements and there is no approval for the work, we will investigate and take appropriate action. An investigation may take a significant amount of time to complete, particularly where the issues are complex.