• Site wide emergency announcement. Site wide emergency resolved announcement. Site wide generic announcement.

    Check the most recent COVID-19 updates from NSW Health regularly, and follow the relevant health advice to help keep our community safe. Find more info on which services are open, closed, or online.

Main Content Anchor


We encourage people to undertake their land use activities with proper consent and approvals to avoid causing a nuisance or acting in breach of legislation. We also rely on the community to report unauthorised work and provide evidence to assist Council in taking action.

Compliance Officers use their discretion when dealing with such matters, taking into account the evidence, cost to the community of any action, details of the case, public policy and legal precedent.

What we need to know when making a complaint

Complaints must be made in writing (post or email) and include the following details:

  • Your name, address, phone number and email. Email is the easiest way to stay in touch with you.
  • Reference to any past complaints you have lodged on this matter. Include Customer Reference Number if you have it.
  • Address where the issue is occurring.
  • Brief description of the issue.
  • Name of the person who is believed to be responsible.
  • Date/times that the nuisance occurred, or is occurring.

Note: making a complaint may result in you being summoned to appear in court as a witness, if Council needs to instigate legal action to resolve the issue.

What happens when a complaint is received?

  • You will receive an acknowledgement with your Customer Reference Number.  You will need to quote this number in any follow up enquiries you make in the future.
  • Compliance officers research the background on the premises in question.
  • Compliance officers carry out an investigation/inspection of the premises.
  • If the investigation/inspection reveals a breach of the relevant legislation, a notice and/or fine may be issued or where appropriate, legal action may be instigated.

Will I be updated on the progress of my request?

If a complaint investigation finds no breach, Council may advise you that based on information retained, no further action is required. Council will not automatically issue updates during the investigation however, you may request an update on your complaint at any time. Please allow at least 30 business days from your original request to allow us a reasonable amount of time to investigate the matter.

On receipt of a written request, Council may be able to provide the following types of information:

  • The actions Council has taken to investigate a complaint matter (e.g. Council officers have visited the property)
  • Any enforcement action which has been or is being taken (e.g. a fine, notice or other correspondence has been issued, resolution of the matter is now subject to legal proceedings)
  • The outcome of the investigation.

This page was last updated on: 30 September 2021