Reporting weeds

Weeds can cause serious harm to our native bushlands, local wildlife and waterways. They can also have devastating effects on our local agricultural businesses. Help us keep weeds at bay by reporting them straight away.

Before you report

Step 1.Is it a high-risk weed? 

Weeds that are a high priority for us to control and treat under the NSW Biosecurity Act can be found on the Priority weeds for the North Coast website. In particular, report immediately any of the following: Alligator Weed, Boneseed, Chinese Violet, Parkinsonia, Parthenium, Tropical Soda Apple and Water Hyacinth. 

Step 2.Take a photo

Help us identify the weed quickly by including a photo with your report.

Step 3.Determine the specific issue

If you are not reporting a biosecurity weed risk and your request is more to do with a shared fence, unsightly waterway or “messy” vegetation, please report these here and select 'other' on the form. If weeds are a concern on neighbouring properties, talk to your neighbour to address the issue first. 

Step 4.Report the weed

Complete all details on our online form. Provide as much detail as you can. 

What can you do?

Step 1.Stop weeds at the gate

Weeds can turn up on your property in many ways. Some weeds are found in purchased soil or garden products, animal feed and fodder, or are attached to machinery, vehicles and people.

Everyone has a part to play in preventing the spread of weeds.  Read the 'stop weeds at the gate' flyer(PDF, 307KB) to understand how you can help prevent new weeds coming onto your property. 

Step 2.Identify the weed

Use the NSW Weed Wise tool to make sure the weed you are reporting is definitely a weed, view images of what the weed looks like and find out whether or not it is a priority for our region.

Step 3.Treat common weeds yourself

Common weeds can be treated on your property using a variety of methods and the Weed Wise website provides advice on the best methods to treat and control the specific weed. 



No space for weeds branding

Our main role is to:

  • Manage weeds under the NSW Biosecurity Act 2015
  • Support the community to prevent the establishment of new weeds 
  • Work with landholders to control weeds based on the level of risk to the broader community

Weeds that are already established pose a lower risk than new weeds we are preventing from becoming established. We control these weeds through our roadside vegetation and reserves maintenance program. 

We work with NSW Local Land Services and state government land managers across the NSW north coast, guided by the framework and direction of the North Coast Regional Weeds Plan(PDF, 1MB).   

The Local Weed Biosecurity Management Plan is a guide to help landowners and land managers take responsibility for weed biosecurity and outlines how they can meet their General Biosecurity Duty under the NSW Biosecurity Act 2015

If you need specialist advice on controlling new weeds or priority weeds, contact us on (02) 6581 8111.  

We use a special vehicle to spray weeds along our roads. The vehicle’s equipment is calibrated using our purpose built 'Sprayrite App' which is free to download. Our best practice methods are very targeted and minimise spray drift. 

We only use appropriate herbicides that are tested and approved by the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA). Different herbicides may be used for roadside spraying throughout the year to avoid genetic resistance. 

Organic farm growers should contact us to let us know of their registered organic status. This allows us to plan our spraying operations to avoid impacting on organic properties. 

Our parks, reserves and sporting fields are sprayed annually for the control of broadleaf and bindii weeds between June and August. The control of turf grass pests, diseases and growth occurs between September and April.  

Sprays are carefully planned and monitored. We monitor and evaluate all pesticide and herbicide use to assess their safety and effectiveness. 

Any resident with a genuine chemical sensitivity (as diagnosed by a medical doctor) may apply to be included on our Chemically Sensitive Register.  A medical certificate must be supplied with your application. Residents can choose to be on the Chemically Sensitive Register (not to be sprayed) or to be notified prior to spraying so arrangements can be made to vacate the area during spraying operations. 
Chemical Sensitivity Register Application(PDF, 395KB)

Pesticide/Herbicide Notification

 Roadside spraying

Registered name

Active constituents

Clear Up Bio 510® 510g/L Glyphosate

Grazon Extra®

300g/L Triclopyr
100g/L Picloram
8g/L Aminopyralid

2, 4-D Amine 625 625g/L 2, 4-D
 Parks, Reserves, Sportsfield Spraying

Registered name

Active constituents


300g/L MCPA
20 g/L Clopyralid
15 g/L Diflufenican

Primo Maxx® 120g/L trinexapac- ethyl
Brigade T&O® 100g/L Bifenthrin
Meridian® 250g/L Thiamethoxam
Heritage® Azoxystrobin (50%)


Water weeds are invasive plants that threaten our waterways. They can:

  • block the flow of water, increasing flooding and erosion
  • reduce water quality, creating health hazards
  • shift natural vegetation and destroy aquatic life
  • prevent recreational activities
  • reduce fish habitat

View our Water Weeds List(PDF, 2MB) to see which plants are not permitted to be sold in NSW. 

Blocked waterways aren't always caused by weeds. Determine if it is a water weed or overgrown vegetation before reporting the issue.