Request Council information

The GIPA Act requires us to make council information accessible to the public.

Our website contains most information about us, such as projects, activities, plans, codes, policies, programs, reports, planning, developments and approvals.

If you would like to request copies of development documents, please refer to the information on this process.

How to request information

Make an informal request

If you are unable to find information you are looking for on our website you can make an informal request by contacting us on 6581 8111. You may be asked to complete an Informal Access Application and show identification.

Make a formal request

Formal requests are usually required if the information you need:

  • Is sensitive information that requires careful consideration in terms of whether it may go against public interest for this information to be disclosed.
  • Contains confidential information.
  • Contains the personal information of another person.
  • Contains information about third parties.
  • Would require a significant amount of time and/or resources to provide the information.

To make a formal information request:

  • Complete our Formal Access Application.  
  • Lodge the form at a council office.
  • Pay the $30 application fee. Additional processing fees may apply if your request takes longer than usual. We’ll let you know if that’s the case.
  • You’ll be notified within 20 working days. We may request an extension under some circumstances.
  • If your application is refused, you’ll receive a refund on your application fee.

Requesting adjoining property owners details

To request adjoining property owner’s names and postal address for dividing fence, tree or burning off matters please complete the Adjoining Property Owners Application form.

We are not obliged to pass on the contact details of adjoining landowners for privacy reasons unless the request is made under the Dividing Fences Act 1991,  the Environmental Planning and Assessment (Regulation) Act 2000 or the Rural Fires Act 1997. Only owner names and forwarding addresses will be provided. Personal contact details (i.e. email address or telephone numbers) of adjoining landowners will not be provided. Land titles details are also available from NSW Land and Property Information ( or 1300 052 637) for a fee.  

Reasons we may refuse to provide information

A request for information may be refused if:

  • There is an overriding public interest against disclosing the information.
  • The information is exempt.
  • Searching for the requested information would require unreasonable and substantial diversion of our staff resources.

Information that is against public interest

Under the GIPA Act, we are not permitted to provide information to you if it may be against public interest for us to do so. We are required to consider public interest, if your request falls into any of the following categories:

  • Responsible and effective government
  • Law enforcement and security
  • Individual rights, judicial processes and natural justice
  • Business interests of agencies and other persons
  • Environment, culture, economy and general matters
  • Secrecy provisions (in legislation other than those listed in Schedule 1)
  • Exempt documents under interstate Freedom of Information legislation.

We aren’t allowed to use the following reasons when considering public interest:

  • That disclosure might cause embarrassment to, or loss of confidence in, council.
  • That any information disclosed might be misinterpreted or misunderstood by any person.

Information that is exempt

In addition to considering public interest, the GIPA Act says we are not permitted to provide information to you if it falls into one of the following categories:

  • Information subject to an overriding secrecy law.
  • Information subject to the direction or order of a court or other body with the power to receive evidence on oath.
  • Information subject to legal professional privilege.
  • 'Excluded information' (judicial and prosecutorial information, information about complaints handling and investigative functions, competitive and market sensitive information and information in relation to specific functions of the Public Trustee).
  • Documents affecting law enforcement and public safety.
  • Specific information relating to transport safety.
  • Specific reports concerning the care and protection of children.
  • Specific information relating to Aboriginal and environmental heritage.

Making an appeal

If your application for information is refused, you can appeal the decision. There are three appeal options:

Apply to us for an internal review

  • An internal review is not completed by the original decision maker; it is completed by someone at the same level of seniority or higher.
  • A fee of $40 is payable for an internal review.
  • You have 20 working days from receiving notice of a decision, to ask for an internal review. 
  • Complete a Formal GIPA Internal Review Application(PDF, 196KB) to apply for an internal review.

Ask for a review by the Information Commissioner

  • You can request this if you aren’t satisfied with the internal review, or don’t want one.
  • You need to apply for this review within 40 working days from when your formal request was denied. 
  • Contact the Information Commissioner on 1800 472 679 (free call) or visit Information and Privacy Commission website.

Apply to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal for an administrative review

  • If you’ve already had a review by the Information Commissioner, and your appeal was denied, your application must be made within 20 working days from being notified of your denied request.
  • If you haven’t had a review by the Information Commissioner, the application must be made within 40 working days from when your original request was denied.
  • Please refer to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal website.

Further information

For advice or assistance concerning your right to access council information, contact the Office of Information and Privacy Commission NSW:

Disclosure log

We keep a disclosure log in accordance with section 25 of the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009. 

The disclosure log records detail of information released in response to formal access applications that may be of interest to other members of the public. The disclosure log contains non-personal information only.

Information recorded includes the date the application was decided, a description of the information to which access was provided in response to the application, and a statement as to whether the agency intends to make the information available to other members of the public and, if so, how it can be accessed.

View the Disclosure log