Return and Earn
Return and Earn aims to reduce litter in our region and offers an opportunity to raise funds at the same time.
As a community we have returned almost 3.5 million containers through collections at our local Reverse Vending Machines. This has contributed to a reduction of 37% in drink container litter across NSW.
You can earn 10 cents when you return an eligible container to an approved Collection Point. The new Container Deposit Scheme, initiated by the NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA), will be rolled out from December 1, 2017 across NSW.
How do I Return and Earn?
- Take your eligible empty container to an approved Collection Point
- Place it in the Reverse Vending Machine (RVM) for a 10-cent refund for each container.
- Containers must not be crushed and must have a legible barcode.
Alternatively, you may be able to donate your containers to a local charity which can redeem the refund to raise funds - check with your local charity organisation.
Most containers purchased in NSW between 150mL and 3L are eligible for a refund. Containers need to be identified by the barcode so it’s important that you don’t crush your containers.
Eligible containers will be made from these materials
- Liquid Paperboard
Containers that are not included in the scheme and, therefore, do not qualify for a refund are:
- plain milk (or milk substitute) containers
- flavoured milk containers of 1 litre or more
- pure fruit or vegetable juice containers of 1 litre or more
- glass containers for wine and spirits
- casks (plastic bladders in boxes) for wine and casks for water of 1 litre or more
- sachets for wine of 250 millilitres or more
- containers for cordials, and concentrated fruit/vegetable juices
- Registered health tonics
Where are my nearest Collection Points?
A number of collection points are now located in the Port Macquarie-Hastings including the Reverse Vending Machine at Settlement City Shopping Centre.
You can check for Collection Point updates at www.returnandearn.org.au Enter your suburb into the search box to find Collection Points near you.
Can I still use my ‘Yellow Bin’?
You can still place your containers into your yellow bin. Any containers placed in your yellow bin will not be eligible for a personal refund.
Where can I find more information?
To find out more about the ‘Return and Earn’ scheme visit
www.returnandearn.org.au or www.tcnsw.com.au
This page was last updated on: 26 November 2018