• Site wide emergency announcement. Site wide emergency resolved announcement. Site wide generic announcement.

    We’re continuing to deliver and support our community during the COVID-19 health crisis. For information and advice click here.

Main Content Anchor

Parking fines: what to do

Parking fines are set by NSW Roads and Maritime Service legislation. Council’s do not set or amend parking fine penalties. Council Rangers are given the responsibility of ensuring that parking time limits and safe parking practices are adhered to and have the authority to issue parking fines when they are not. 

Council Rangers cannot withdraw a notice once it has been issued or commenced. Appeals can be made directly to the State Debt Recovery Office of NSW.

What to do if you receive a parking fine. 

Pay the fine

You must pay the fine within 21 days of it being issued. You may pay by: 

  • Internet: payments via credit card at http://www.sdro.nsw.gov.au/
  • Phone: 1300 130 112 using your credit card
  • Post: send a cheque or money order clearly noting the penalty notice number on the back to the State Debt Recovery Office, PO Box 444, Parramatta NSW 2124
  • In Person: at any Australia Post Office via bill pay

Please note: Port Macquarie-Hastings Council cannot accept payment of fines; all payments must be made directly to the State Debt Recovery Office of NSW.

Appeal the fine

You may appeal the fine in the following manner:

  • Submit a written representation to the State Debt Recovery Office. The form can be downloaded from the State Debt Recovery Office website.

  • By electing to go to the Local Court and have the matter heard by a Magistrate.


For further information regarding these options please visit the State Debt Recovery Office website - www.sdro.nsw.gov.au

This page was last updated on: 12 November 2018