• Site wide emergency announcement. Site wide emergency resolved announcement. Site wide generic announcement.

    We’re continuing to deliver and support our community during the COVID-19 health crisis. For information and advice click here.

Main Content Anchor

Lost pets

Council Rangers often pick up pets that are wandering around without an owner present. If your cat or dog is caught in a public place without you, a Council Ranger will scan the animal for a microchip and make all reasonable attempts to contact the owner as listed on the NSW Pet Registry and make arrangements for the animal to be returned home. If the Ranger cannot make contact with the owner or if the animal is not microchipped, the Ranger will take the animal to the pound. Please ensure your address and contact details are up-to-date so your pet can be returned to you.

If a microchip is present, the owner is contacted and informed that the animal is at the Pound. If a phone contact is not available, a Council Ranger will send a 'Notice of Seizure' to the registered owner via mail.

If you have lost your cat or dog, you can call the Pound on (02) 6583 3488 to inquire if your pet has been picked up.

Sometimes, a member of the public may find your pet and take it to the local vet so also check with your local veterinary practices. 

If your pet is at the Pound, you will be need to fill in a release form and pay a fee before your pet is released. If your pet is not microchipped and registered it will not be released from the pound without being microchipped and registered at the owner’s expense.

This page was last updated on: 15 October 2018