• Site wide emergency announcement. Site wide emergency resolved announcement. Site wide generic announcement.

    Check the most recent COVID-19 updates from NSW Health regularly, and follow the relevant health advice to help keep our community safe. Find more info on which services are open, closed, or online.

Main Content Anchor

Changing pet ownership details

If you need to change ownership details or address details for your pet, you can go online at www.petregistry.nsw.gov.au, create an owner profile, claim your pet and make the necessary changes. A step-by-step guide to using the Pet Registry for Owners and Breeders is available to download from their website.

If you do not have online access, details can be updated with the assistance of Council.

To change ownership details, phone numbers or to add a secondary address you can download, complete and sign the C3A Change of Owner/Details form below. Take the form into one of our Council offices located in Port Macquarie, Wauchope and Laurieton for processing. 

To change your address details only you can download, complete and sign the C3C Change of Address Notice form below and return it to Council either by post, email or in person. 

Animal Welfare organisations are to complete a different form to change ownership details of Companion Animals. This form is C3B Animal Welfare Organisations Change of Ownership. 

Unfortunately, these forms are not available to be filled in on-line as a signature is required verifying that the information provided on the form is correct.

Forms for changing pet ownership details 

 C3A Change of Owner/Details form143KB pdf(PDF, 143KB)

 C3C Change of Address Notice form404KB pdf(PDF, 404KB)

 C3B Animal Welfare Organisations Change of Ownership.1MB pdf(PDF, 1MB)

Why do I need to change my pet ownership details?

Changing the ownership details of your pet is important as it updates the NSW Pet Registry. If your pet is ever lost, their microchip can be scanned and the pet returned to you, provided your contact details in the Registry are correct.  

It is recommended that a “Change of Ownership” form be signed at the point of sale or transfer of any companion animals, enabling both parties to sign it. In the case of change of ownership by sale or give away, it is the responsibility of the seller, or former owner of the animal to provide the appropriate forms. Alternatively, this can now be done online at www.petregistry.nsw.gov.au. A step-by-step guide to using the Pet Registry for Owners and Breeders is available to download from their website.

It is a requirement for owners to notify the Registry of any change in their animals registration or permanent identification (microchip) information within 14 days. 

This page was last updated on: 15 October 2018