There are rules that must be followed if you want to bring a dog to a food premises. The Food Standards Code (National standard, enforceable under the NSW Food Act 2003), and the Companion Animals Act 1998 (NSW law) requirements by area are:
Food handling areas
No animals are allowed (i.e. kitchen, storage and serving areas).
Indoor dining areas
Only registered Assistance Animals (i.e. Guide Dogs, or other genuine assistance animals referred to in section 9 of the Disability Discrimination Act 1992) are allowed in indoor dining areas.
Outdoor dining area
You can have a dog in an outdoor dining area only if:
- The business owner gives permission
- The dog is on a leash and under adequate control
- The dog is not fed whilst at the food premises
- The dog is kept on the ground (not to be placed on a lap or chair)
- The dog does not pass through any indoor areas to access the outdoor dining area.
This page was last updated on: 25 May 2020