Over the years, the estuary has been the subject of numerous environmental investigations that deal with estuarine and catchment processes such as increased sediment and nutrient loads, sediment transport and tidal flushing, increased tidal constriction and bed scour, as well as decreased tidal propagation, sedimentation and shoaling.
PMHC has completed an extensive number of plans and studies in relation to coastal management. This includes two CZMPs, one of which has been gazetted, EMPs, coastal hazard mapping, vegetation mapping, sea-level rise and floodplain risk management plans to name a few. Whilst EMP’s are now considered dated, the background studies behind these plans are still relevant and contain valuable information on estuary processes and issues confronting our lake system.
Working with the community is an essential component of being a local government. Balancing between what the community wants and values with what is the most appropriate and affordable management options can be challenging. However, maintaining this balance is a vital factor in achieving the most desirable outcome. PMHC will continue to strive to maintain this balance.
This list demonstrates some of the extensive work undertaken on studying the Lake:
- Lake Cathie Tidal Data 22nd April, 1982, Manly Hydraulics Laboratory - Public Works Department, Prepared for Hastings Shire Council, September 1982
- The Lake Innes, Lake Cathie Catchment Resource Appraisal with Recommendations for Restoration Works15MB pdf(PDF, 15MB), Creighton, 1983
- Lake Cathie Flood Study, Civil Engineering Division3MB pdf(PDF, 3MB), Public Works Department, September 1984
- Lake Cathie-Lake Innes Estuary Management Plan20MB pdf(PDF, 20MB), Webb, McKeown & Associates, May 1994
- Nutrients in the Lake Cathie / Lake Innes Lagoonal System, Port Macquarie, Southern Cross University, 1994
- Cathie Creek Maintenance Dredging Environmental Review28MB pdf(PDF, 28MB), Webb, McKeown & Associates, November 1994
- Lake Cathie/Lake Innes Water Quality Study7MB pdf(PDF, 7MB), Department of Public Works and Services, Manly Hydraulic Laboratory, November 1995
- Lake Cathie/Lake Innes Entrance Opening Strategy Environmental Review1MB pdf(PDF, 1MB), Webb, McKeown & Associates, May 1995
- Lake Cathie/Lake Innes Waterway Users Study8MB pdf(PDF, 8MB), Webb, McKeown & Associates, July 1998
- Lake Innes Nature Reserve Plan of Management, NPWS, November 1999.
- A Tale of Two Lakes - Managing Lake Innes and Lake Cathie for Improved Ecological and Community Outcomes - Issues and Options22MB pdf(PDF, 22MB), Umwelt, February 2004
- Maintenance Dredging of Lake Cathie Review of Environmental Factors, GHD, September 2004
- Port Macquarie-Hastings Council Dredging Strategy1MB pdf(PDF, 1MB), Port Macquarie- Hastings Council, September 2007
- Lake Cathie Lake Innes Estuary - Hydrodynamic Model Development & Investigation26MB pdf(PDF, 26MB) BMT WBM, May 2011
- Lake Cathie and Lake Innes Acid Sulfate and Soil Risk Assessment7MB pdf(PDF, 7MB), Soil Conservation Service, July 2019
- Lake Cathie Coastline Management Study (Stage 111MB pdf(PDF, 11MB) and Stage 23MB pdf(PDF, 3MB)), SMEC, July 2009 and February 2012 respectively
- Lake Cathie Coastal Hazard Study4MB pdf(PDF, 4MB), SMEC, November 2010
- Lake Cathie Coastal Hazard Study Review15MB pdf(PDF, 15MB), SMEC, September 2014
- Lake Cathie Indurated Sand (Coffee Rock) Geotechnical Assessment9MB pdf(PDF, 9MB), Regional Geotechnical Solutions, Jan 2014
- Lake Cathie Coastal Zone Management Plan3MB pdf(PDF, 3MB), PMHC, April 2016
This page was last updated on: 02 April 2020