Main Content Anchor

Bushfire disaster support for residents

The following support services are available to individuals and landholders that have been impacted by the bushfires which t ravaged our region in 2019/2020. 

Australian Government - Disaster Recovery Allowance - Call 180 2266 or visit

This allowance provides a short term support payment to assist people whose income has been affected as a direct result of the bushfires.   

Australian Government - Disaster Recovery Payment - Call 180 2266 or visit
If your home has been damaged by smoke - including your clothes, furniture or carpets - you may be eligible for this payment. 

NSW Government - Disaster Relief Grants - Call 1800 018 444
Grants are available for eligible individuals and families whose homes and essential household contents have been damaged or destroyed by a natural disaster.

Replacing personal documents - Visit your nearest Service NSW centre or call 13 77 88.
Service NSW can help replace many of your personal documents free of charge if they were damaged or destroyed. This includes birth certificates, marriage certificates, licences and number plates. 

Legal assistance - Call 5525 1600 (Port Macquarie office) or visit
Legal Aid NSW can provide free legal advice and minor assistance to people affected by disasters on a range of issues, including insurance, tenancy, credit and debt problems. 

Salvation Army - Call 1300 662 217
Support is available for those who have lost their homes or lost the means of earning their income. You can also email

Red Cross Emergency Grant - visit
Grants are available to people whose primary place of residence has been destroyed or rendered uninhabitable because of a bushfire since 1 July 2019. 

Disaster relief for landholders

Rural Resilience Program - Call Peter Brown (Taree office) 0437 671 459.
This program can provide support by way of referrals, liaising with other services and delivering initiatives tailored to the particular need of the community.

Primary Producer Grants - Call the Rural Assistance Authority on 1800 678 593.
Grants of up to $15,000 are available for bushfire affected primary producers. Eligibility criteria apply. Applications can be made to the Rural Assistance Authority. Find out more at

Animal welfare - Call the Agriculture and Animal Services Hotline on 1800 814 647.
Local Land Services can assist with: Emergency fodder, Stock water, Assessment of animals impacted by the fire. Landholders are also encouraged report damage to property, including any stock losses. Visit

NSW Rural Assistance Authority -  Call 1800 678 593.
Disaster relief low interest loans of up to $130,000 are available to eligible primary producers and small businesses, and transport subsidies of up to 50% of the cost to transport livestock or fodder, to eligible primary producers.

Housing assistance

Department of Communities and Justice (DCJ) Housing can offer temporary accommodation, as well as interest-free bond loans and advance rent to eligible fire-impacted residents. 
Call the Housing Contact Centre on 1800 422 322 (available 24/7) for more information.

Local housing assistance - Community Housing Limited 1300 245 468 
Level 1, 16 Clarence Street
(PO Box 837)
Port Macquarie NSW 2444

Insurance Assistance

If your property is insured, continue to work with your insurer on the clean-up. If you have concerns about your insurer, contact the Insurance Council of Australia on 1800 734 621.

If you are uninsured, contact Public Works Advisory on 1800 88 55 39 to discuss the clean-up. 

You can also call the Disaster Welfare Assistance Line on 1800 018 444.


This page was last updated on: 15 December 2020