Your home’s sewage system does include an overflow relief gully (ORG). It is an opening that acts as a relief point between the house drain and Council’s sewer system. It is located outside your house, generally in the area outside your kitchen.
The ORG should be above ground level to ensure stormwater does not enter.
Property owners should ensure that there are no obstructions/landscaping blocking the overflow path. The ORG allows sewage to surcharge if a blockage or significant wet weather event occurs to prevent flooding of sewage in your home. Water will flow through this gully instead of through your house drainage system.
Should sewage be observed to being close to, or coming out of your ORG, every effort should be made to minimise the amount of sewage going into the system.
Once power returns to your area, residents are advised to reset their units by taking the following steps:
- On the controller, push the button on the bottom edge to silence the audible alarm
- Discontinue water usage in your premises unless in an emergency
- Wait 1 hour to ascertain if the pump reduces the level in the tank
- If the warning light goes out - the situation has corrected and water usage can proceed as normal
- If the warning light remains on, please contact us