Ensuring your dog gets adequate exercise is essential to their health and wellbeing. Port Macquarie-Hastings has numerous designated parks and beaches where dogs may be exercised off leash. Find out where you can exercise your dogs on or off lead and the areas which prohibit dogs in the map below.
Responsibilities of dog owners
- When enjoying off-leash areas, it's important that your dog remains under your constant supervision and control.
- When walking your dog on a leash, your pet should be under your control when in public places including parks, sports fields and bushland areas (unless signage indicates it is a dog Off Leash area).
- Dogs are not permitted within 10 metres of children's play areas.
- Please respect the environment and the enjoyment of others and immediately 'scoop the poop'. Dog owners are required to carry a plastic bag to pick up dog droppings. It is an offence not to pick up after your pet and on-the-spot fine may be issued.
- For more information see Pet Owners Responsibilities
Dedicated Dog Parks - Off Leash
These fully fenced Leash free zones allow dogs to exercise off the lead so they can burn off excess energy in a safe environment and provide an important socialisation experience with other dogs. By providing these opportunities, dogs are less likely to exhibit nuisance behaviour due to boredom and frustration when confined to their yard. The list below shows the leash free areas in the Port Macquarie-Hastings region.
- Stuart Park - Wood Street, Port Macquarie (separate areas for large and small dogs)
- Blackbutt Park - Cnr of Blackbutt Drive and Peppermint Crescent, Wauchope (separate areas for large and small dogs)
- Henry Kendall Reserve - Henry Kendall Drive, Laurieton
| Tips on how to use the interactive map (desktop)
- Zoom using the + or - signs in the top left hand corner
- Click on the dog icons to find out more about that location
- To zoom into specific locations within the region, click the blue links in the panel on the right of the map
- To reset the map to the original view of a region, just hit the Home icon
|Tips on how to use the interactive map (mobile)
- To zoom to a region, choose from the list in the menu at the top left corner of the app
- To details of specific locations click the 'Blue I' information button in the top right corner of the map
Exemption for Guide Dogs
Not withstanding the provisions of this policy, guide dogs may be exercised unleashed on any dog permitted beach area.
The Future of Leash Free Areas
Council acknowledges the need for some park based leash free areas. In the coming years, Council will continue to allocate areas for dedicated dog parks throughout our LGA where people can exercise their dogs leash free.
This page was last updated on: 08 February 2021
Help us to improve! Was this page useful?