• Site wide emergency announcement. Site wide emergency resolved announcement. Site wide generic announcement.

    We’re continuing to deliver and support our community during the COVID-19 health crisis. For information and advice click here.

Main Content Anchor

Obtaining Liquor Licences

A Liquor Licence is a permit to legally sell and serve alcohol to patrons.

Before applying

To apply for a liquor licence in NSW, you will require a National Police Certificate no older than three months. If you are applying on behalf of a corporation, the manager must present a Certificate. The purpose of this Certificate is to ensure you are a suitable candidate and will enforce the Responsible Service of Alcohol.

Some licence applications will also require you to complete a Community Impact Statement (CIS) before lodgement. A CIS will help the Independent Liquor and Gaming Authority (ILGA) determine whether your business is going to cause problems for the local council and existing residents, businesses or the police.

Applications will generally need to have received development consent from the Council. Please see Council's Role below for more information.

Making an application

Liquor & Gaming NSW is part of the Department of Justice and oversees the regulatory framework for liquor activities across NSW, including liquor licensing, the serving or selling of alcohol and the initiatives to reduce alcohol-related harm. Liquor & Gaming NSW ensure there's a strong voice for the community in liquor licensing decisions.

For liquor licence application forms and further information please contact Liquor & Gaming NSW:
     Phone: 1300 024 720 (Monday to Friday 9:00am to 4:00pm) 
     Postal: GPO Box 7060, Sydney NSW 2001 

Council's Role

Council is not responsible for providing Liquor licences in NSW. Liquor & Gaming NSW is the consent authority for liquor licence applications. Our role is to determine the appropriate development approvals under our state planing laws for proposed licensed venues. 

When applying for a Liquor Licence for new premises you will be required to provide details of the applicable Development Approvals for the proposed licensed premises. Copies of Development Approvals may be obtained by contacting Council’s Customer Service Centre on (02) 6581 8111.                

This page was last updated on: 31 January 2019