Main Content Anchor

Existing development

To help with future building applications or buying a property you can get information on past approvals and consents granted on the land a number of ways.

Building certificate

A building certificate is a certificate applied for, and issued, under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act.

The certificate guarantees that a council will not, for a period of seven (7) years from the date of the certificate, seek to have a building demolished or altered except in the case of fair wear and tear over that period. It is formally known as a Section 149A Certificate.

When to apply for a Building Certificate

The certificate is usually needed by buyers or sellers of property before settlement to make sure that what is being bought or sold is not going to be the subject of action by the council. It is also commonly applied for when work is undertaken without the appropriate approval. A building certificate may be for a part or whole of a building.

Request a building certificate

A building certificate application may be made by:

  1. The owner of the property
  2. Another person, with the consent of the owner of the property.
  3. The purchaser of the property under a contract of sale (including the purchaser's solicitor or agent).
  4. A public authority that has notified the owner of its intention to apply for the certificate.

Download the DE108 form.

Swimming pool certificate

A Swimming Pool Compliance Certificate is a formal certificate issued by Council which states that at the time of inspection the swimming pool barrier complies with the requirements of Part 1 of the Swimming Pools Act 1992 and relevant Australian Standard which includes the requirements for swimming pool fencing.

The Swimming Pools Amendment Act 2012 requires pool owners to provide a valid swimming pool compliance certificate before being able to sell or lease a property with a pool.  A compliance certificate is valid for 3 years.

Download the DE132 form.

Outstanding notices & fees

An Outstanding Notice under Section 735A of Local Government Act 1993 and Section 121ZP of Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, is advice as to whether a notice or order has been issued by Council on land in relation to health or building matters.

The Acts allows a person to apply to Council to find out if there is any notification, order, direction or demand outstanding on a property, in relation to health or building matters. For example you can find out if there are any outstanding rates or water charges associated with a property.

Download the DE010 form.

Development documents

If you want to confirm the development applications and approvals associated with a property you can request a search of Council's records in two ways:

1.  Preliminary search

Council will confirm the application details we have on our database and any approvals issued.

Provide the Lot, DP and street address details of the property you are interested in and email your request to

If you would then like copies of records relating to an application or approval, you will need to lodge the DE161 form and pay the associated copying fee.

2.  Copies

For copies of development documents download the DE161 form and pay the copying fee. If we have records on file*, the documents will be emailed to you in 14 working days (minor developments) or 28 working days (commercial developments). In some instances depending on the complexity of the search and the age or scale of the development, documents may be provided to you earlier. 

*Fees are not refundable for unproductive searches.

If your request relates to a preliminary search quote the application numbers and list the specific documents you want.

This page was last updated on: 29 June 2017