• Site wide emergency announcement. Site wide emergency resolved announcement. Site wide generic announcement.

    Level 4 'Severe' Water Restrictions are now in force across the Port Macquarie-Hastings. To find out how this affects you, click here.

Main Content Anchor

Planning enquiries

There are a number of ways you can find out what property attributes, zoning and dwelling entitlements apply to your land. 

General planning enquiries 

Look up your property on the NSW Government Planning Portal.  You can find information on land zoning, bushfire prone land, floor space ratio, building heights, minimum lot size and local and state planning legislation that applies to your property.

Speak to a Council Duty Planner/Surveyor for advice on what is permissible on your land and development proposal enquiries. Click on the link below for more information on our advice services.

Planning Certificates (S10.7)

A Section 10.7 Planning Certificate (or Zoning Certificate, previously known as a s149) is a legal document that confirms the zoning and relevant rules for development of your property.  Applicants generally purchase Section 10.7 certificates when considering the sale or purchase of a property. A planning certificate must be included in the sale contract.

While a planning certificate identifies all the relevant planning documents that apply to the property, it does not specify development standards or terms of the instruments. A planning certificate is not a development approval.

There are two types of Section 10.7 planning certificates available to purchase:

  • 10.7 (2) Certificate - Provides information about the zoning of the property, the relevant state, regional and local planning controls and other planning matters such as heritage, land contamination and road widening; and
  • 10.7 (2) and (5) Certificate - Provides additional advice regarding demolition, foreshore building lines, other heritage considerations and general advice.

Council does not recommend which Section 10.7 certificate an applicant should purchase. They are purchased for a wide variety of reasons and each applicant should seek their own legal or professional advice on what type of certificate should be purchased for their individual circumstances. 

Dwelling entitlements on vacant land

Broadly, this is dependent on the land use zone that applies to the property, and relevant provisions of the Port Macquarie-Hastings Local Environmental Plan 2011.

In rural areas, there are minimum lot (or land holding) size requirements - usually 40 hectares or 100 hectares.  However, there is a concession available for smaller land holdings (“existing holdings”) which could have had a dwelling house erected when planning controls commenced in 1967.

To clarify whether a dwelling house can be erected on any particular land parcel it is recommended that you:

  • get some basic information by obtaining a Planning Certificate for that land parcel
  • contact Council’s planning staff to discuss the specifics for the property.

This page was last updated on: 26 April 2018