To be successfully considered for a role at Council, here is some important information that will assist you when applying for a role.
The job advertisement will provide the basic details of the position.
Please ensure you read the advertisement carefully and contact the nominated person if you have any questions relating to the role.
Position Description and Selection Criteria
The position description will give you the key details of the position and an idea of whether you have the essential requirements to perform the role, and whether the job is what you are looking for. It details the necessary skills, abilities, experience and qualifications Council is looking for to fill this position. The essential requirements form the basis of the selection criteria which you will be required to complete as part of your application and will be used as part of the selection process for candidates being invited for interview.
Whether you are invited to attend an interview depends on the extent to which you have met the selection criteria/your answers to the application questions.
How to Apply
Port Macquarie-Hastings Council receives applications via our online recruitment system.
To apply for a position, click on the job you wish to apply for, this will take you to a new window which outlines the job and will also have a link to the position description and selection criteria. It will also have the online application form where you will be required to enter your personal details and have the opportunity to provide a response to each of the questions. You will also be required upload your resume and a cover letter before submitting your application.
Please note we no longer accept hard copy applications or via email.
No Computer or Internet Access?
- Port Macquarie-Hastings & Kempsey Shire Libraries provide computer access, including broadband internet and the Microsoft Office suite of programs.
- Computer use at Port Macquarie-Hastings Libraries is free to library members for a timed amount per day. If you are not a member of the library you can join for free!
- Computer users are expected to be able to use the machines without instruction. Staff will help save and print documents but will not be able to format documents for you.
- You may use your own USB memory sticks. However, you do so at your own risk. We cannot guarantee security from viruses or accidental damage.
- Users are subject to the 'appropriate use' provisions of the library's electronic resource policy. There is no filtering on Port Macquarie-Hastings computers.
Port Macquarie-Hastings Council has three library locations:
- Port Macquarie Library - 32 Grant Street, Port Macquarie Ph: 6581 8755
- Laurieton Library - 9 Laurie Street, Laurieton Ph: 6581 8177
- Wauchope Library - 49 High Street, Wauchope Ph: 6581 8162
If you do not live near a Port Macquarie-Hastings Council Library, we suggest you contact your local library to enquire about the provision of computers to the public.
Tips for Writing Your Application
- Review the position description.
- Contact the nominated person for any job-related enquiries
- Answer all of the application questions demonstrating how you meet it using your skills, abilities, experience and qualifications.
- Check all the information you have provided and then submit your application by clicking the ‘submit’ button.
- Applications must be submitted by the closing date. Late applications will not be accepted.
- Applications will be reviewed after the closing date and we will generally respond to candidates within 3 weeks of the closing date.
- Don't assume! A fair and objective choice about who to interview is made from the information you supply in your application, not what you think the selection panel may know about you.
- Don't submit a generic application. Demonstrate how you meet the selection criteria as outlined in the role description.
- Send your resume without addressing the criteria. There may be some area’s on the online application form that must be completed (you will not be able to submit your application without completing these). There are also areas on the application form such as desirable criteria that are not mandatory however we encourage you to complete all areas of the form as this will assist the selection committee when reviewing your application.
Port Macquarie-Hastings Council is committed to the creation of an inclusive, respectful and equitable workplace.
Through our recruitment, development, retention and promotion, policies and practices, we seek a diverse workforce that is effective and takes full advantage of a wide range of experiences and backgrounds.
We view diversity as a key attribute that enables us to attract and retain the best talent, thereby enabling us to deliver quality outcomes for our community.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
Port Macquarie-Hastings Council is committed to the creation of an inclusive, respectful and equitable workplace. Through our recruitment, development, retention and promotion, policies and practices, we seek a diverse workforce that is effective and takes full advantage of a wide range of experiences and backgrounds. We view diversity as a key attribute that enables us to attract and retain the best talent, thereby enabling us to deliver quality outcomes for our community.
This page was last updated on: 23 August 2021