In July 2014, $800,000 funding was secured through the Federal Government Blackspot program for construction improvements at various points along Lake Road, with additional funding provided by Council for the $2.65 million Lake Road upgrade project.
The Lake Road improvements were undertaken to improve vehicular and pedestrian safety, provide better access to businesses within the area and improve traffic flow on the busiest sections of the road.
These works included:
- Relocation of water mains and reclaimed water services, relocation of optic fibre communication services, the upgrading of stormwater drainage along Lake Road and upgraded street lighting.
- Construction of a roundabout at the intersection of Lake and Blackbutt Roads, a new central median strip along Lake Road from Blackbutt Road to east of Chestnut Road, revised intersections at Acacia Avenue and Chestnut Road and new footpath and driveway construction.
- Improvements to the Lake Rd / Jindalee Rd Roundabout with the existing roundabout reduced in size in order to provide two westbound lanes as opposed to the single through lane that was in place to help ease congestion and improve safety.
- The duplication of approximately 300m of Lake Rd between Toorak Ct and the Oxley Hwy, including road widening, kerb and guttering, signage and line-marking, easing congestion and improving traffic flow and safety on this busy stretch of road.
- The resealing of road between Central Rd and Blackbutt Rd to prolong the life of the road and improve safety.
The project was fully completed in July 2018.
Council is also planning for future stages of the Lake Road duplication. This currently includes investigation and design work for the Fernhill Rd to Jindalee Rd section and design work on the duplication of the section of road from Ocean Drive to Central Rd.
This page was last updated on: 11 September 2019