The Wauchope Main Street Plan will see an upgrade to Wauchope's CBD to encourage more 'feet on the street' and to create a safer, pedestrian friendly CBD.
The plan was developed through a range of conversations with the local community led by an independent consultant in 2015, and references other Council plans such as:
- Port Macquarie-Hastings Pedestrian Access and Mobility Plan 2015
- Port Macquarie-Hastings Bike Plan 2015
- Wauchope Traffic Management Strategy 2014
- Wauchope Framework Plan 2009
What will the plan do?
The Plan identifies ways that High Street and associated intersections can be refreshed and improved so that walking and cycling trips are convenient, pleasant and safe and the character of the town and landscape is enhanced and respected. The work will involve an upgrade to the main street between Cameron and Hastings streets. This includes:
- Increased pedestrian safety by relocating High Street pedestrian crossings and designing intersection improvements
- Reversing the direction of one way traffic on Oxley Lane, which will encourage the use of additional parking off High Street and improve intersection safety.
- Increased footpath widths, addition of street seating and provision of space for outdoor dining.
- Provision of 15 minute parking and disabled parking on High Street.
- Street planting to create attractive, vibrant foliage displays with trees providing shade during summer and allowing sunshine in winter.
How much will it cost?
The $2.686 million upgrade is being jointly funded by the NSW Government and Port Macquarie-Hastings Council and is expected to be completed in the second half of 2019, weather permitting.
Wauchope is one of the region’s most important gateways and maintaining the main street’s character while improving safety is of the highest priority for Council.
Lane closures, traffic control and a reduced speed limit will be in place during the work for the safety of workers and motorists. Motorists are advised to drive to the conditions, and follow the directions of signs and traffic control.
Each week, a progress report will be added to our website listing the completed works for the week in the Wauchope CBD. The report will also indicate the upcoming works scheduled for the following week for the area.
You can view the progress of the project for each week by clicking the links below.
- Wauchope CBD upgrade update for 24 August 2019246KB pdf(PDF, 246KB) (PDF, 246.11 KB)
- Wauchope CBD upgrade update for 17 August 2019249KB pdf(PDF, 249KB) (PDF, 248.61 KB)
- Wauchope CBD upgrade update for 10 August 2019249KB pdf(PDF, 249KB) (PDF, 248.84 KB)
- Wauchope CBD upgrade update for 3 August 2019425KB pdf(PDF, 425KB) (PDF, 424.96 KB)
- Wauchope CBD upgrade update for 27 July 2019423KB pdf(PDF, 423KB) (PDF, 422.96 KB)
- Wauchope CBD upgrade update for 20 July 2019248KB pdf(PDF, 248KB) (PDF, 248.47 KB)
- Wauchope CBD upgrade update for 13 July 2019422KB pdf(PDF, 422KB) (PDF, 421.83 KB)
- Wauchope CBD upgrade update for 6 July 2019422KB pdf(PDF, 422KB)(PDF, 422.44 KB)
This page was last updated on: 04 June 2019