Residents are allowed to address Council in an Ordinary Council Meeting on any Council-related matter not listed on the Agenda. The process for this is to request to speak in the Public Forum during the Ordinary Council Meeting. In order to have your opportunity to speak, you must fill in a Request to Speak in the Public Forum form, available online or in pdf below.
A maximum of five speakers in the Public Forum is allowed at any one Council Meeting.
Each speaker has five minutes to address the meeting. Council has the opportunity to ask questions after each address is completed, but speakers cannot ask questions of Council.
Requests to speak in the Public Forum close at 4.30pm on the day before the Council meeting.
Apply to speak in a public forum here
Or download the form Request To Speak in Public Forum331KB pdf(PDF, 331KB), fill it in and then forward the form to Council via:
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post to General Manager, Port Macquarie-Hastings Council, PO Box 84, Port Macquarie NSW 2444
- In person to Council’s Customer Service Centres at either Port Macquarie, Wauchope or Laurieton
Important Information to note before applying to speak in the Public Forum
- There is no automatic right under legislation for the public to participate in a Meeting of Council or a Committee of Council.
- For a member of the public to be considered to address Council in the Public Forum, they must agree to strictly adhere to all relevant adopted Council Codes, Policies and Procedures at all times.
- Addresses in the Public Forum will commence at 5:30pm.
- When your name is called, please proceed to the Council Table and address Council.
- Councillors may ask questions of a speaker following an address.
- Each answer, by the speaker, to a question is limited to two (2) minutes.
- A speaker cannot ask questions of Council.
- Council will not determine any matter raised in the Public Forum session, however Council may resolve to call for a future report.
- Each speaker will be allocated a maximum of five (5) minutes to address Council. This time is strictly enforced.
- If you have any documentation to support your presentation, provide 2 copies to Council by 12:00pm on the day of the Meeting.
- If a speaker has an audio visual presentation, a copy of the presentation is to be provided to Council by 12:00pm on the day of the Meeting.
- The following will not be considered in the public forum (in accordance with the Code of Meeting Practice, clause 2.14.14):
- Proposed or current development and rezoning applications and related matters.
- A third (3rd) or subsequent application by a single member of the public to address Council on the same issue in the same calendar year. Council, at its discretion, may elect to exempt representatives or members of community groups from this restriction.
- Any formal procurement process, contract negotiation or dispute resolution being undertaken.
- Any matter the General Manager (or their delegate) considers inappropriate for discussion in the Public Forum.
- Council accepts no responsibility for any defamatory statements made by speakers.
- Members of the public may quietly enter and leave the Meeting at any time.
This page was last updated on: 07 January 2019