• Site wide emergency announcement. Site wide emergency resolved announcement. Site wide generic announcement.

    We're changing the way we do business and how we deliver services to our community. We're still accessible and open for business via phone, email and online. Stay informed, visit our COVID-19 page. 

Main Content Anchor

Inspection Types

There are a number of mandatory inspections that must be carried out by your Principal Certifying Authority (PCA). If these inspections are not completed, you may not receive an occupation certificate. It is an offence to occupy a building without an Occupation Certificate and an Occupation Certificate may be requested when selling your property.

Your PCA may also request additional inspections; these are usually nominated in your PCA agreement. The mandatory inspections required by the legislation are listed below and are dependant on the type of building you are constructing.

Residential work - Class 1 & 10 buildings

Examples include dwellings, alterations and additions, garages, carports, swimming pools, etc. The mandatory inspections are:

  • Footing
  • Slab and other steel reinforcement
  • Frame (including floor)
  • Wet area waterproofing
  • Stormwater
  • Pool fencing
  • Final / completion

Multiple dwellings - Class 2, 3 & 4 buildings

Examples include multi-unit developments, and residential components of commercial or industrial buildings. The mandatory inspections are:

  • First footing inspection
  • Wet area waterproofing
  • Stormwater
  • Final / completion.

Commercial and Industrial Buildings Class 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9 buildings

Examples include offices, shops, factories and commercial buildings. The mandatory inspections are:

  • First footing inspection
  • Stormwater
  • Final / completion

Note: Council as your PCA may nominate additional inspections to ensure the building/works upon completion are fit for occupation/use.

Final Inspection

When all building works have been completed, you will need to book a final inspection. Once the final inspection has been completed and passed, an Occupation Certificate will be issued. The Occupation Certificate authorises the occupation of the building and may be requested when you are selling your property.

This page was last updated on: 04 October 2018