Before an emergency
Preparing for a disaster helps you and your family cope and make better decisions when an emergency affects you.
So don't wait until, make a plan today. Rural Fire Service (RFS), State Emergency Service (SES) and NSW Fire and Rescue can help you plan for our most common emergency events:
Stay informed and monitor media for updates on an impending emergency event.
During an emergency
- Be aware of what is going on around you and stay informed.
- Evacuate if necessary and follow the advice of emergency services personnel.
- For assistance during flood events contact NSW SES on 132 500.
- For assistance during fire events contact 000.
- For information on bushfires in your area contact the Bushfire Information Line on 1800 679 737.
After an emergency
- Check on your neighbours and animals.
- Seek medical attention if you have been hurt.
- Contact your insurance company to discuss your policy and file a claim if necessary.
- In major emergency events the Emergency NSW website will provide you with information on what financial assistance may be available to you.
- The Disaster Welfare Assistance Line can provide you with information about disaster relief grants for content and structural repairs available to low income earners with no insurance. For more information contact 1800 018 444.
- A range of services are available for health, well-being, housing, legal and livestock support and assistance following an emergency event.
This page was last updated on: 27 March 2017