Join the team - Get Involved
The Youth Advisory Council provides a forum for young people to have a say on community issues that affect them and their peers and to provide input into Council's youth policy development.
Youth Advisory Council (YAC)
An opportunity to be heard within Council, expand networks and advocate for local youth matters.
Youth Advisory Committee members are:
- aged 14 - 25 years who live, study and/or work in Port Macquarie-Hastings LGA
Committee members are required to:
- Attend regular meetings
- Contribute to organising youth events
- Offer advice to Council - such as current priorities, issues and needs
- Promote and encourage participation through networks and supporting events
- To assist Council in the identification of current interests of young people (aged 12-25 years) in the Port Macquarie-Hastings LGA
- To support and promote activities and special projects which relate to young people living in or visiting Port Macquarie-Hastings
- To encourage student and young people's participation in Council's activities and community service initiatives
- To assist Council in effective policy development through the provision of advice
- To assist in planning for youth events such as Youth Week
Benefits to members
- Professional development and regular training opportunities
- Have your say in Council policy, planning and other matters relating to young people
- Expand your network
If you live in the Port Macquarie-Hastings area and want to get involved in organising local events or want a voice in your community then register your interest via the below form.
What is YAC?
The YAC is a group of young people that meet on a regular basis. They share ideas and word together to develop solutions to issues that affect the youth community.
What does the Hastings YAC do?
YACs brainstorm ideas to make their communities a better place for young people to live. They plan and deliver programs such as Youth Week, community events and competitions specifically for the youth community. They are the youth voice of the community and provide advice to organisations who are seeking youth opinion.
What if I'm not quite sure?
We encourage all young people to consider joining Hastings YAC to attend at least one meeting as a guest. This will give you a great insight into how the meetings are run, networking and meeting the members to see if this is the type of committee for you.
What will you get out of being a YAC Member?
- You'll get to meet like minded youth who are passionate about youth activities and ensuring a youth voice in our community
- Provide an opportunity for young poeople to have a say about what happens in the community regarding the Youth Strategy
- Understand what young people enjoy about the Port Macquarie-Hastings area
- Looking at what are the barriers that stop the youth community from accessing Council services and how to promote those activities
- Understanding what young people want as far as activities and services in the Port Macquarie-Hastings area.
- Help to organise some amazing youth events
- Be mentored by professionals in different fields
- Have fun
Building effective Youth Partnerships
||The Hastings’s Youth Advisory Council (YAC) is excited to announce it has joined forces with local training provider ETC to support and develop youth skills that will benefit the youth community of the region. The welcome boost of a $2500 sponsorship from ETC will help the YAC present one large youth event during the year as well as a number of youth skill-based training workshops.
If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact the Place Facilitator, Lee Wood on 65 81 8111 or email@example.com. To apply for YAC please provide details on the form below.
Youth Advisory Council Questionaire
This page was last updated on: 02 March 2017