Mrs Yorks Garden
Mrs. York’s Garden is a volunteer, non- profit group that has formed under the Port Macquarie Hastings Council Shaping Our Place program and aims to transform the area from Allman Hill to Gaol Pont, into a beautiful "Floral Reserve", admired by people from all over Australia. In October 2014, the group began restoring the area and replanting it with littoral rainforest plants, the endemic plant species for the East Coast of Australia and are committed to long term improvements and maintenance of the area. You can find out more on Mrs Yorks Garden's Facebook page.
Coastal Warriors Mid North Coast is a volunteer based organisation with support from the Council located in Port Macquarie. Coastal Warriors aim is to prevent plastics and other harmful objects entering our oceans harming marine life and damaging our Eco systems. Coastal Warriors will host local beach clean ups and also surrounding areas including parks and gardens to prevent harmful objects entering drains and leading into our waterways. To become a Coastal Warrior attend one of our events and sign up. You can find out more on Coastal Warriors' Facebook page.
Cultural Companions in Port Macquarie-Hastings region creates a local networks of people interested in arts and culture, it aims to enhance the social experiences of isolated individuals through small groups that meet together to attend events. Cultural Companions aims to provide increased opportunities for older people to engage with our vibrant local cultural and arts scene whilst creating meaningful social networks.
Library (Port Macquarie, Laurieton & Wauchope)
Providing innovative library services to the Port Macquarie-Hastings area. Branches in Port Macquarie, Laurieton, and Wauchope offer a variety of volunteering options and programs. Please visit the Library on Facebook or visit the Mid North Coast Library Service website.
Graffiti Blasters volunteers tackle illegal graffiti on public property in known hotspots using specialist equipment and a vehicle provided by Council.
Volunteers receive comprehensive training and ongoing support and can select shifts to combat the growing issue of graffiti. Shifts are available from 9am to 12pm or 1pm to 4pm Monday to Friday.
More volunteers are needed so if you have:
- A keen interest in working outdoors and working with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds;
- Good communication skills and a friendly, helpful manner;
- An understanding of safe work practices; and
- The ability to use chemicals and garden tools.
Youth Advisory Council
The Youth Advisory Council provides a forum for young people to have a say on community issues that affect them and their peers and to provide input into Council's youth policy development.
The Youth Advisory Council is an opportunity to be heard within Council, expand networks and advocate for local youth matters.
Youth Advisory Committee members are:
- aged 14 - 25 years who live, study and/or work in Port Macquarie-Hastings LGA
Committee members are required to:
- Attend regular meetings
- Contribute to organising youth events
- Offer advice to Council - such as current priorities, issues and needs
- Promote and encourage participation through networks and supporting events
- To assist Council in the identification of current interests of young people (aged 14-25 years) in the Port Macquarie-Hastings LGA
- To support and promote activities and special projects which relate to young people living in or visiting Port Macquarie-Hastings
- To encourage student and young people's participation in Council's activities and community service initiatives
- To assist Council in effective policy development through the provision of advice
- To assist in planning for youth events such as Youth
You can find out more on YAC on their Facebook page.
Beach to Beach
The Beach to Beach River Walk- Camden haven program is a community driven project to provide a shared cycle path between North Haven break wall and Pilot Beach.
The Beach to Beach committee is dedicated to the ongoing progress of the path and aims to develop a cycle path that links North Haven, Laurieton and Dunbogan.
Justice of the Peace Services
Council offers a volunteer Justice of the Peace service located at Port Macquarie Hastings Library every Saturday morning 10:30am to 12:30pm.
The Glasshouse has a large team of volunteers who assist the Gallery staff to open, administer and maintain the Regional Gallery. Glasshouse Gallery Volunteers carry out a range of duties including:
- Greeting visitors
- Directing visitors to exhibitions
- Monitoring artwork
- Collecting surveys
- Assisting with minor administrative duties
Throughout the year the Glasshouse staff provide a number of volunteer training activities and social events. Volunteering at the Glasshouse is a great way to contribute to the community and also meet new friends.
Tastings on Hastings
Tastings on Hastings is the NSW North Coast’s premier food and wine festival drawing exhibitors and patrons from Greater Port Macquarie and surrounding regions and attracting visitors from regional NSW. The event showcases 120 exhibitors including regional farmers, artists, food producers, wine growers, brewers, restaurants and cafes.
Volunteers for this major food and wine event are critical to the operational and sustainability aspects of the community event, it is estimated that an average of 120 volunteers are required for this event.
For more informationb please visit the Tastings On Hastings website.
Countdown to Christmas
Countdown to Christmas is an exciting event held in Port Macquarie’s CBD which aims to bring the entire community together to celebrate the festive season. With over 6,500 attendees, the festival includes a parade of floats, mascot race, fireworks and the lighting of the Christmas Tree. Volunteers for this event are needed for a variety of tasks, including the assistance with the flow of foot traffic in the area.
Burraydjarr Aboriginal Youth Group
The Burraydjarr Aboriginal Youth Group has been operating every Wednesday afternoon 3-5 pm during school terms at Birpai Local Aboriginal Land and has been operating for the past seven (7) years.
The Burraydjarr Aboriginal Youth group is attended by school children aged 5 – 12 years who attend schools within the Port Macquarie-Hastings region.
The purpose of the Burraydjarr Aboriginal Youth Group is to:
- Promote healthy lifestyles and wellbeing to its members and the surrounding community;
- Reinforce Aboriginal identity and awareness with family and the community;
- Facilitate the connections of young Aboriginal people and the community through exposure to Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal role models; and
- Engagement in Aboriginal cultural activities.