2017 Heritage Festival - Register Your Interest!
Autumn is the perfect season to discover our region's rich history during the Port Macquarie-Hastings Council’s Heritage Festival. There will be plenty on offer around this year’s theme of ‘Having a Voice’ - so get out and listen to our local stories or perhaps share one yourself!
This year’s local dates are from 16 - 30 April. If your community group or organisation would like to be a part of this year’s Festival you can register your event here: http://www.pmhc.nsw.gov.au/System-Pages/UCG-Event or phone 02 6581 8111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Current 2017 Events (with more to come!)
Previous Year’s Highlights
Last year's Heritage Festival had something for everyone, with almost 30 events including family and kids activities, moonlight movies, exhibitions, bush tucker walks, heritage and archaeology tours, lectures, talks, costumed performers and the outdoor exhibition series 'Portraits of Memory'.
The festival theme was 'Discovery and Rediscovery'. As one of the oldest settlements in NSW, so much awaits you to discover or rediscover, including the region's natural, Aboriginal and European histories - from our first inhabitants the Biripai people, our European convict settlement in 1821 to our modern history as a tourist mecca and sea-change city.
Council and our local heritage organisations are proud to protect conserve and showcase our local historic places and landmarks that link the stories of the people, places and events that have shaped our community.
Last year's festival, held in April, included the following highlights:
- Official Opening Family Day hosted by Camden Haven Historical Museum.
- St Thomas Church Convict Buildings Tour
- Uncovering our past - Port Macquarie History and Archaeology Walking Tour
- Laurieton History Walk and Museum Visit
- Market at the Maritime
- Port Macquarie Historical Society - Relics, Rocks and Remnants Exhibition
- Convicts, Commandants and Clergy Walking Tour
- NPWS Innes Ruins Convict History Tour
- In Oxley's Footsteps - Rediscovering the Hastings
- Portraits of Memory Outdoor Exhibition
- Grave Tales - Port Macquarie Historic Cemetery Walking Tour
- Port Macquarie and Districts Family History Society - An introduction to family history
- Wauchope District Historical Society - Upper Rollands Plains Discovery Coach Tour
- ArtWalk Port Macquarie
- Moonlight Movie - Forty Thousand Horsemen
- Australia's Forgotten ANZAC's Exhibition
- Douglas Vale Historic Homestead Festival Open Day
This page was last updated on: 12 April 2017