The Hastings Access Sub-Committee meets every two months at the Port Macquarie-Hastings Council Headquarters on the Corner of Burrawan and Lord Street. The Committee membership includes members of the public who have a disability, a parent/carer of a person with a disability, has some professional experience or has an interest in access. The Committee reviews development applications for disability access and inclusion for significant buildings (such as Lake Cathie Public School), prioritises new footpaths, kerb ramps and pedestrian crossings, and advocates to Council for creating a disability friendly community.
Highlights of the Council and committee’s work over the past years include:
- Nominate and review priorities of the 2017-2021 Disability Inclusion Action Plan
- Prioritise $500,000 of footpath improvements such as the Findlay Street footpath linking a retirement village to the local shops;
- Create an access map of Wauchope, Laurieton & Port Macquarie town centres;
- Plan events such as the International Day of People with a Disability;
- Review the design and support funding for Bain Park and Westport Park all inclusive playgrounds;
- Review development applications such as the design plans for Lake Cathie Public School;
- Support construction of accessible (disability) toilets; at Rainbow Beach - Bonny Hills, Aqua Crescent - Lake Cathie and North Shore.
- Support grant funding for 12 new wheelchair friendly bus shelters;
- Recommend locations for new accessible (disability) car parking spaces such as in front of the Port Macquarie Court House, Historic Courthouse, in front of Laurieton United Services Club; and
- Disability Friendly project - review and visit cafes, holiday accommodation and businesses, meet with managers and customer service staff. Conduct Access Friendly visits to businesses, reviewing the built environment and meeting with and educating key staff for example at Port City Bowling Club, Kmart and Officeworks.
Registering for the Committee
Currently all membership positions are filled at this time. The call for new Port Macquarie-Hastings Access Sub-Committee Members will occur towards the end of 2019, with new committee members starting in February 2020
All members of the public are welcome to attend the Committee meeting as an observer, or may request to address the Committee with a 5 minute presentation about a particular concern.
Please contact the Community Participation - Inclusion Officer on (02) 6581 8111 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org to request to address the Committee or details of the next meeting if you would like to attend as an observer.
This page was last updated on: 15 November 2017