Port Macquarie-Hastings Council invited submissons to our Design-A-Bag Artwork competition. Designs were bold, original and reflect our beautiful Port Macquarie- Hastings region. The winner of the competition was ANNA OSBORNE with her black and white rendition of Tacking Point Lighthouse and a whale.
The reusable bags will be used across the Hastings as part of the Plastic Free July Program, and aims to encourage our community to reuse, recycle and help reduce the use of plastic bags within our region.
The winning artist will have their design screened on approximately 4000 jute tote bags which will be distributed across the Port Macquarie Hastings region, as well as win a $1000 prize.
Did you know?
- Australians use more than 4,000,000,000 plastic checkout-style bags per year.
- Australians throw out more than 7,000 plastic bags per minute.
- Lightweight plastic bags are used for 12 minutes on average.
- In only 4 shopping trips, the average Australian family accumulates 60 plastic bags.
- Each year in Australia, an estimated 50 million plastic bags do not make it to landfill, instead entering the environment… and they never leave.
- Plastic bag litter kills tens of thousands of birds, whales, seals and turtles every year.
- These bags are made from fossil fuels, which are precious and non-renewable.
If you have any questions, please contact Council’s Creative Place Facilitator, Skye Frost at firstname.lastname@example.org or (02) 6581 8111.
This page was last updated on: 05 April 2018