Port Macquarie-Hastings Council invites submissons to our Design-A-Bag Artwork competition. Designs must be bold, original and reflect our beautiful Port Macquarie- Hastings region.
The reusable bags will be used across the Hastings as part of the Plastic Free July Program, and aims to encourage our community to reuse, recycle and help reduce the use of plastic bags within our region.
The winning artist will have their design screened on approximately 4000 jute tote bags which will be distributed across the Port Macquarie Hastings region, as well as win a $1000 prize.
Did you know?
- Australians use more than 4,000,000,000 plastic checkout-style bags per year.
- Australians throw out more than 7,000 plastic bags per minute.
- Lightweight plastic bags are used for 12 minutes on average.
- In only 4 shopping trips, the average Australian family accumulates 60 plastic bags.
- Each year in Australia, an estimated 50 million plastic bags do not make it to landfill, instead entering the environment… and they never leave.
- Plastic bag litter kills tens of thousands of birds, whales, seals and turtles every year.
- These bags are made from fossil fuels, which are precious and non-renewable.
How to enter
Just print out an entry form407KB pdf(PDF, 407KB), draw, print or collage your design into the printable area, complete the entry form407KB pdf(PDF, 407KB) and submit your design in pdf form to email@example.com
Entrants must be a resident of the Port Macquarie-Hastings region.
Entries close at 11.59pm on 18th March 2018.
All submitted designs must adhere to the template and content requirements.
- Your design must be original.
- Your design must reflect the Port Macquarie Hastings region
- Designs can be literal or abstract, however designs should respond to the following themes: “Your local environment”
- Designs must be in black and white only and be supplied in a PDF Format. One colour can be proposed but the final colour of the print will be decided by Port Macquarie-Hastings Council.
- The printing technique works best with a bold graphic that is not too detailed.
- Designs can be hand-drawn or computer-generated.
The winning design will be converted into a scalable format by Port Macquarie-Hastings Council and be utilised to create the print for the bags. A Port Macquarie-Hastings Council logo will be placed on the bag and also the name of the winning designer/(s).
The design may vary from the original winning design in order to meet the technical application of the design to the surface. The winner may be consulted through this process, however, Port Macquarie-Hastings Council reserves the right to determine the final design and look of the print.
Sample Tote Bag
The criteria for judging the best submission will include: adherence to the design guidelines and theme, along with the production of an imaginative design which is strong, bold, and creative and can be reproduced easily for the reusable bag production.
The panel will consist of:
- 2 x Port Macquarie-Hastings Council Staff
- 1 x Port Macquarie-Hastings Councillor
- 1 x representative from MIDWASTE
- 1 x Community Member
Submissions are due on the 18th of March 2018 by 11.59pm
The winner will be contacted directly by Port Macquarie-Hastings Council and announced by the 29th of March 2018.
- The prize is subject to the Full Terms and Conditions of Entry998KB pdf(PDF, 998KB) as listed below.
- The winning designer/(s) will receive a cheque for $1000 for their winning entry.
- Two runner ups will also receive a $100 gift voucher
1 March Competition Opens
18 March Competition Closes
19 March Panel selects winner
29 March Winner announced
July 2018 Launch of bags at the Foreshore Markets Port Macquarie
If you have any questions, please contact Council’s Creative Place Facilitator, Skye Frost at firstname.lastname@example.org or (02) 6581 8111.
This page was last updated on: 02 March 2018